My Hijab Story

by - April 02, 2017




Growing up I loved the idea of Hijab but , I was never forced to wear it . I was surrounded by such lovely women my mom , cousins and friends who inspired me each day . It was something I knew I would start some day but , wasn’t sure exactly when . As Hijab doesn’t just mean the headscarf it’s a modest way of life it includes your apparel , behavior and you basically represent your community .

I started wearing the Hijab in grade 9 . Prior to grade 9 I used to wear a pinafore uniform and wanted to transition to the long maxi uniform  so I seized this opportunity to start my Hijab journey .


Going to school adorning the Hijab wasn’t weird at all as many of my classmates were Hijabies , it wasn’t intimating or anything of that sort. However many girls face issues with the initial stage it totally depends on where you stay.   I am so thankful that I didn’t have to go through any rough patches and had constant support.


I obviously struggled with the draping part and had a whole weird scarf phase till a friend showed me how she draped it . My face type was drastically different from her so gradually I crawled my way into finding my style from the billion ways you can wear a Hijab .  


It was all fun and games till I graduated from high school and flew to India to join university in Bangalore .     

On my first day to college we had an orientation and I was fidgety to find that I was the only one in a hall of thousands who wore Hijab . At the end of the session there was an Q&A session and I was called on the stage to speak , I mean it was that easy to spot me in a crowd . Soon I was known as “the girl who wore Hijab” , “the girl from Kuwait” and stuff like that . It didn’t take me long to feel at home in my dorm room . My roomie was very supportive of my beliefs and kept me positive . I got through three years of college smoothly encountering weird and funny queries about my Hijab each day . Some of them being “Don’t the pins prick your skull ?” , “How many scarves do you own” , “How does it not slip ?”  and “Do you have hair beneath ?” .


With each year of fresher’s I see more people adorning the Hijab and it makes me so happy . I am glad I chose this path , as Hijab is such an indication of purity and dignity . It set me apart from the crowd(in a good way)  , gave me an identity , did not restrict me from being me and doing what I liked , is a visual reminder of not crossing the line , thought me patience (summer days ! it’s not easy) , empowered me by the fact that people went past the outer appearance and focused on my intellect . Assessed me for my personality and not just physical traits . Although it is just a physical piece of cloth , it affected me as a person .


However me wearing the Hijab doesn’t mean I am on some kind of at a "higher religious level” but it’s important to remember that muslim girls who don’t wear Hijab can just be as religious . Islam is not about appearance, it’s a religion based on inner intentions . It was my personal choice to dress modestly , to assert pride in self and embrace my faith openly , with independence and courageous conviction .


Until next time 
Polý agape (lots of love) and stay cheerful :)  !












You May Also Like

4 comments

  1. Woahhh. MashaAllah, this was very inspiring ❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salute to u, u actually potrayed wat hijab actually is.. was expecting this blog a long back, came late bt came perfect..��..Miss u..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Sana and Manzar bhai :) I am glad you liked it

    ReplyDelete
  4. good inspiring post farheen

    ReplyDelete